Accessing Connect’s CSV import
The first step is to access Connect's CSV import tool.
To access Connect’s CSV import
- Open Connect, and click the Settings icon () on the left-side panel.
- Under the Settings header, click Users ().
- On the Users page, you will see two environments:
Development, where all of your test users exist. We recommend importing
yourself as well as other employees from your company to development so that you can
send test messages.Note: Do NOT import real customer data to your development environment.
- Production, where all of your real users exist. We recommend only importing real customers to this environment so your data stays clean.
- Development, where all of your test users exist. We recommend importing yourself as well as other employees from your company to development so that you can send test messages.
- Click Click here to download Connect’s CSV template:
- Open the CSV file and save it as Connect CSV Template for future use. We recommend doing a “Save As” and labeling this CSV Connect Test CSV to keep things straight.
- In the CSV template you will find a number of pre-filled column headers:
- user_id (required) is your unique identifier for each user profile. Please note, no two users can share the same user_id in Connect.
All other columns are “Attributes” of your users. These are completely configurable based on information you have on your customers. Adding Attributes is simple and we will show you how to do that shortly, but first let’s talk about the Attributes Connect provides by default:
- last_name and first_name are common for personalization.
email and phone_number (required) are needed to contact users on
specific channels, such as email for email messages or phone_number for SMS
messages.Note: Phone numbers need to be in e.164 format - i.e. 17073156877 (country code must be included). Our system will automatically append the “+”.Tip: Get mobile phone numbers from your customers upon signup and already have them opt in to receiving relevant text message updates.
timezone is used for trigger based campaigns, so for now you can go ahead and delete this column. For future reference, time zones adhere to TZ database time zones.
apns and gcm are used for mobile push notifications. APNS is the contact info used for Apple. GCM is the contact info used for Android.
If you are planning on leveraging mobile push notifications you will want to fill these in (See our APNS and GCM docs). Most customers don’t use these unless they are running trigger-based campaigns, so feel free to delete these columns for now. You can always add them later.
Adding an attribute column
If needed, you can add more attributes to the CSV. Attributes are a good way to segment users and decide who should receive a message or not. They are also used to make messages more personalized. There are no limit to the number of attributes you add to your CSV import or users; the more information you have on your customers the better.
To add an attribute to the CSV
- Add a column to the CSV.
- Name the column, using the naming convention in the default columns. For example, attribute_attributecontinued.
Importing test users
Next, you’ll need to import test users. In the following procedure, we’ll be adding yourself as a user to the Connect Test CSV.
To import test users
- Open the file Connect Test CSV.
- Enter the following information in the columns:
For your user_id, you can use an ID of 1.
Under the email column, add your work email address.
Next, continue to fill any additional columns with your information.
Please delete any columns you leave blank (like gcm or apns).
- Finally, let’s add a custom attribute called favorite color, as described above. For your user, add the value blue.
Your finished CSV should look something like this:
Uploading your sample CSV
Now that your CSV is complete, you’ll want to upload your csv for import.
To upload your CSV file to your development environment
- In Connect, go to the Settings > Users page.
- On the Development line, click Upload.
- Browse to the CSV file on your computer, and click Save.
Once the upload is complete you will receive an email notification (this will likely finish within a minute or so).